Thread: Build Log Building my first CNC router.
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by AleG
Bangkok
Joined Oct 2007
1,662 Posts
I redesigned the router base, if you compare with some of the earlier photos you'll see how different it looks now.

At the front and rear there are two 1x2" aluminium tubes (1/8th wall thickness) supporting the 600mm X axis rails made of the same material.
The Z-axis is just placed on top of the gantry posts to get an overall idea of the size and layout of the machine, I have yet to make the horizontal beam of the gantry.
Name: IMG_7928.jpg
Views: 112
Size: 134.2 KB
Description: Overall view of the progress so far.

A closer look at the front of the base. The transverse support can be seen showing how the belt and pulleys are mounted, although the ballscrew bearing block is not mounted yet.
I think it took me 3 or 4 days to make this particular part, with nothing else than a small drill, a hacksaw and files. I was very happy when everything fit together!
The stepper motor is mounted on the back with four long screws that fit in slots on the support, so that the belt tension can be adjusted.
As you may notice the longitudinal rails protrude a 1 or 2mm over the front piece, I'll have fix this so that they fit flush.
Name: IMG_7936.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 118.8 KB
Description: Close up of the front.

I was thinking of housing the electronics and power supply in a separate box but I changed plans and added four legs on the sides so I can mount everything within the machine itself. The sides are going to be close and at the front I will make a panel with the switches, connectors and status lights.
Name: IMG_7939.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 123.9 KB
Description: The front showing the space under the table that will be used to house the electronics.
AleG is offline Find More Posts by AleG