Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
8,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney69 View Post
i'm seeing that some people are running a separate BEC and some are not running any (but with a separate reciever pack). ]i see that you can get the ESC with and without a BEC......i don't see anyone running the ESC with the built in BEC. why is that?
I don't know of any HV ESC's with internal BEC's. If you are going to run this plane on 6S, you can set it up just like the 60 EXPs. If you are going over 6S, you'll need to consider a direct battery connection to the Rx, a 6v BEC, or a HV BEC/Regualtor to power the Rx and servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney69 View Post
i assume that a BEC is not required if running a separate RX pack (although it seems that most are doing just that)?
I use a 6v external UBEC on almost all of my planes to this size, then a Rx that already has redundant ports for connecting A123 batteries directly to the Rx when going bigger. Or you can use a BEC/regulator, like the two Castle offers, to attach 2S or 3S Lipos if you have HV servos that can handle the extra juice.

It's really about your servo requirements. If they are not HV, then a 2S 6.6v A123 battery (LiFePO4) plugged directly into the Rx works great for 6v servos. Any LiPo setup for HV servos will require a BEC and/or BEC/Regulator between the battery and the Rx.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin