F45 - modded "searchlight" mod
So yesterday I placed a red led on the side, so I'm able to see the binding status.
Only bad thing was, that in bright daylight you weren't able to see the light. I used a tinted red led... dimming is too high
This night an idea popped up in my head:
why not using two leds, one on each side. Different colours, so you would be able to detect which side is facing you much easier. Especially because days are getting shorter and darker here, it helps a lot.
So far i can detect the position of the heli by three facts:
- red one -> left
- blue one -> right
- two red or green ones -> back
Few facts about the two leds:
- red consumpts 2V
- blue constumpts 3,5V
- in total: 5,5V
Because of that I wanted to connect both of them parallel and add a series resitor before each one, so they would have the maximum voltage.
So, while working I had the idea, why not testing the camera port I'm not using; connecting the leds to this one. I thought that hitting the camera button on the remote triggers the power of the port on and off. Unfortunately it has steady 5V during the hole time. The camera's on and off function must be based on a digital signal.
Hmpf... a positioning light that can be switched on when needed would have been nice
So back to the original plan, using the searchlight port:
Tested with a steady 5V generator it worked fine. Bright as hell.
But after I connected the plug to the helicopters pcb, I got a very very dimmed light.
The port wasn't able to provide enough amps, to power both leds...
Back to square one, ripping everything appart, throwing the resistor in the trash.
Soldering and putting heat shrink tube around everything again.
Both LEDs in series, so no resitor is needed anymore:
Before I soldered both of them together i measured the width between both side panels, so that the leds are supporting each other.
At first I wanted to use epoxy again. Only problem was, that I didn't have enough left so it would hold good enough.
So I switched to hot glue, which works fine, too:
And even with my longest battery, everything fits perfectly
little test run:
it's working like a charm
now I've got side positioning + binding-status lights