View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Understanding Rc is n essential part of FPV and AUAVs. It is impossible to know how to tune a model for safe flight, setting the auto pilot limits and Gyro rates and flight envelope without having a good grounding in flight.

Quite frankly, I would be frightened to be anywhere near where a large heavy model was being launched by an inexperiened operator. That is just the sort of thing that will get us all outlawed.

I am no angel, but I am not intellectually arrogant enough to not realise when I am being reckless at someone elses expense.

Sorry for my rant but I hope you reconsider skipping the RC part.

Regards J
I agree and I disagree. Understanding flight-dynamics basics, yes. But not understanding model-building (which my questions were circling around). There is a difference between only acquiring the knowledge necessary for effective (and safe) operations and learning tons of stuff that I'll never need and I'm not interested in.
As an example, to get a driving license for a car, I need to be able to safely operate it and I need to know the applicable legislation but I do NOT need to know how an engine works, let alone how to build one from scratch. There are many people who do because they are interested in that but not knowing the underlying technical details does not make me an unsafe driver.
Stefan_Go is online now Find More Posts by Stefan_Go