Thread: Discussion diamond 2500 from art tech
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jack McC
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2010
83 Posts
It was spectacular last saturday!

Doing a power loop and the elevator hinge failed on the back side and it dove straight into the ground! I had planned to remove the weights from the wings, but not in this manner (they flew out). Spinner and cowl buried about 4 inches into the ground. Wing tip broke off, boom snapped just forward of the aluminum tubing in the fuse. All hinges (EPO Foam) were fatiqued and/or broken. Fuse completely severed just forward of the leading edges of the wing, mostly pieces. Canopy broken in places, fair amount of damage to the motor mounting, horizontal stab bent and stiffening on top lost.

Good news is that the motor was not damaged, nor any of the electronics or servos, wing rods and tubing also OK. In spite of all that I think it will repair pretty well. Biggest challenge is to get the correct alignment of the motor and shaft.

Considered buying new fuse or just trashing the whole thing, but after assembling all the pieces I think it can be repaired and will fly again.

Since the stiffening piece on top of the stab was lost can anyone tell me if it was carbon or what? The bottom of the stab has a piece of (?) or plywood and am wondering if the lost piece was the same.

Dr. Jack will be in the operating room shortly after the Foam-tac arrives.

Advice to all; replace all the foam hinges! This thread has a few posts on doing that.

I have several other gliders to fly so shouldn't miss any opportunities to fly during the repairs.

More later on the reconstruction,

Jack
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC