View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Didn't manage any flights today, but as of yesterday I have 11 flights so far...so that brings my ownership of this plane to about $11 per flight. Is it just me, or does anyone else look at it that way? Somehow I feel better about my purchases when the cost per flight gets less and less. Some of my old stand-byes are in the pennies per flight range.

A couple of things I have noticed include:

1) I have had a few power dives that I couldn't seem to pull out of. One of which almost ended in a collision with a soccer goal! The plane just seemed to get sucked to the goal is if it had a tractor beam. No up or left input response for about 20 feet...finally pulled out just a couple of feet from the edge of the goal.

2) While just trying to get a feel for the characteristics of the Mosquito, in flat level flight I have applied some left and right rudder to varying degrees. The plane tends to dip the wing HARD in the direction of the turn...Is this normal for this plane? I may still be a bit tail heavy and this is my first twin so I really don't understand what is going on...

Also, a few times so far...the plane has just dropped to one side unexpectedly. I am not sure if it was an unexpected gust of wind turbulance or a motor has been dropping out. So far I have toyed plenty with the stall characteristics, but when this has happened I was at least 2/3 throttle at the beginning of the flight.
My CG is now about 1/8" behind the wing spar...Don't fly until you achieve this CG...The rudder WILL roll the plane in flight...You can fly this plane on rudder/elevator alone...Roll coupling is VERY apparent with this plane...I had trouble with this plane in pitch---It would suddenly pitch up or down with any elevator untill I got the CG correct...I can now fly "hands off" with the CG correct...I wasn't expecting this amount of trimming needed for a RTF plane of HH quality...

Being a twin really isn't the issue as the counter rotating props cancel out any P-factor the props may produce...This plane accellerates just like my single engine couterparts due to the counter rotating props...I can just about bet the the CG is off...Get it where I have stated then report back as to your findings...I'm expecting you will be a happy camper!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene