View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by martimer
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,097 Posts
So, it looks like a nice day to fly and as it turns out I have nothing to do after all so I went flying. First up was the Mossie (of some reason it was on my mind...).

Turns out that there are some slightly stronger winds up around 75 feet and as I was making a turn to final I hit one of those (I was flying high to avoid the trees) and got her into a spin. Normally this is no problem since I had altitude. Unfortunately she had "drifted" over a house, costing me the precious feet of spin recovery altitude.

I expect the wind "at ground level" to pick up later today so recovery is not an issue. I did discuss the issue with the homeowner and I am not expecting a problem.

Please note that I do not normally fly over houses, I fly over the street (and over MY lawn). Had I stayed low things would be fine. I chose to fly high to avoid the possibility of engaging the tree and found the wind. Stupid and unfortunate and I anticipate losing that battery to over discharge. The plane appears to be undamaged and out of reach.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member