View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,819 Posts
Build Log
150% enlarged WingontheWeb HO-229

Well, what can I say.. i've wanted one of these for a LONG time, and I figured I didn't have enough projects currently going as it was, and a friend decided he wanted one.. sooo here we are.. project #3!

After some discussion during the 4 hour trip back from warbirds over delaware and the over-all lack of (our opinion) of ww2 german stuff (especially unusual stuff), the HO-229 conversation was started.. and after a small detour to the Hazy center @ dulles and seeing some original Horten Designs And the 229's outer wings panels in the new restoration shop we pretty much had our decision.. the HO-229 would be our models for the 2013 WOD meet, But we didn't want to go through a complete design and wanted to use a scale and proven airframe already.

The wings over the web HO-229 was selected to be the proven airframe since it has been proven to fly and used the A.L. Bentley drawings, so its scale outline is accurate as well.

But at 82", its a bit small, so we decided to enlarge it to 150% of original which makes it 123.5" in wingspan.

Construction will be conventional balsa for the outer wing panels. G-10 parts for the drag rudders, and a composite center section. We are doing the composite center section for a few reasons..

1. We then only have to build one per the plans (the plug)
2. It will have all the panel line / rivet / screw details on every part that comes out of the mold
3. Less internal structure will be needed. We will be doing a "sandwich" style layup of the center section
4. We are expecting to have to build 3 of these, but only hoping for 2.
5. The center section plug needs 3 sheets of 2'x4' plywood to build at our size ($180 in plywood alone).
6. If anyone decides they want one, we can offer the center section for sale (plans and everything else will have to be sourced from Gary).

Power will be twin 90mm EDF units, but could also be twin Jet-cat P-20's (or equivalent) or up to a 120mm EDF unit.
Expected weight is about 14-15lbs, using a 90mm EDF's on 6s lipoly's we are expecting 3900-4100 watts worth of power which should provide some very spirited performance.

And hopefully due to the enlarged size, we can eliminate much or all of the extension tubes.

Supplies so far:
For 6 sets of wing ribs, we are using 25 sheets of 1/8"x6"x48" balsa wood
Two sets of wing skins (8 skins total) require 45 sheets of 3/32" x 6" x 48" balsa
Center section plywood = 3 sheets of 3/16" x 24"x48" plywood and 1 sheet of 1/4"x24?x48" ply for the construction cradle.

Here's some pictures of the plans with a 4' bubble level for reference on my 4'x8' building table:

First wing ribs cut.. Six #11 ribs. Again, we are expecting to have to build THREE of these monsters, but are hoping Two will be all that is needed:

invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast