View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by pgoelz
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I got an mQX a few weeks ago. I was thinking it would be a good trainer while I finished my bigger quad, but I'm having so much fun with this thing that I spend more time flying it than the big one. It's amazing how tough these things are.
Every time I think about acquiring a smaller (or larger) quad, I always end up realizing that the mQX is really the sweet spot in terms of cost, ability, agility, repairability and durability.

Yes it would be cool to have a really tiny quad, but parts are not as readily available and so far with their embedded non-Spektrum receivers, they don't work with my DX8.

Yes, it would be cool to have a larger quad. They are more stable and can do some really cool stuff with GPS and other sensors. But they are more expensive and easier to damage in a crash, which raises the fear factor when attempting aerobatics and/or aggressive flight. And again, you can't always get replacement parts in the corner hobby shop.

So it always (for me, anyway) comes back to keeping my mQX and enjoying the heck out of it. I love flying it at the field when the airplanes are grounded by excessive wind. It seems to top out at about 15-20 MPH. Above that and you can't tilt it forward enough to hold position (ie., stationary "forward flight") without losing lift and ending up on the ground even close to full throttle. Below maybe 15MPH, it is quite flyable. I flew it the other day in winds that kept most planes on the ground. The wind was so bad that my flips were extremely *horizontally* oval.... about 30 feet worth

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz