Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by KaiWE
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJock View Post
HC Hobby Mosquito. What happened was too much throttle and too much elevator. We have a grass landing strip at our club and I had full elevator to keep the tail wheel in ground contact. As I increased the throttle she unexpectedly rose up. It's quite a heavy model and so I did not expect her to do that so quickly. Consequently she tried to go straight up without enough airspeed or indeed power, cartwheeled to the left and as I tried to counter-steer (ineffective 'cause there was pretty much zero airflow over the control surfaces) she simply ploughed into the ground.

At least next time (after substantial repairs) I will increase the throttle more slowly and counter with decreased elevator 'till her arse lifts off the ground a bit.
To bad with the plane Jock, but it seems that you have the post-crash-investigation sorted out Finding the real reason behind a crash is a good way to avoid the next...

For me, one of the most enjoyable parts of a flight is take-offs just like you describe them. Even if the plane have power&lift enough to jump off the ground in inches, I absolutely love to to let a taildragger accellerate slowly rising its tail of the ground and gain speed on two wheels before a nice and shallow climb-out This and a perfect landing...

Had a real laugh the other day though - Was taking off with a S.E.5a, and while gaining speed it hit a bump in the gravel runway, and hey presto, it was 10 inches off the ground flying perfectly level Shortest distance from take off to level flight ever...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE