Find More Posts by Wookster
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,524 Posts
[QUOTE=kaptondave;22675050]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
So what would you experience in a full scale aircraft if for instance you were flying over a nascar oval track. If you had to keep your aircraft directly over the track and run that pattern, would the downwind leg present any unique challanges?/QUOTE]As has been posted by cfircav8r, doing that (in normal winds, not 60 mph) is a routine part of pilot training in full-size planes. It is usually done at fairly low altitude (1,000 ft) so the trainee is able to see what is happening to the plane relative to the ground track. That is what I was referring to earlier when I talked about ground-reference maneuvers. And yes, it presents challenges, which is why it is part of the training. If done correctly, on the downwind leg would the pilot would observe that the ground speed increased while the airspeed would remain the same, and that the turn to the crosswind leg would have to be made sooner and with a steeper bank to prevent being pushed out of the pattern. The ground track would be the same as in a landing pattern and would remain an oval, not a tear-drop as someone said in an earlier post.

There is no difference between flying full size planes and RC models except for the perception problem.
there is, rate of turn relative to bank angle for one. Also as you get smaller you have to start changing the airframe. Ever notice how the control surfaces become a larger part of the wing, tail, and elevator as the plane gets smaller.

you say part of normal training (not 60mph winds) well, how many of us fly our 1/10th scale planes in less than 6mph winds? doesn't happen around here. Again thats another difference between full scale and RC. .

Power to weight ratio is also another difference. Many rc pilots can hit stall and never have to drop the nose. just power up. My twist 40 doesn't really stall it transitions from flying on the wing to on the prop. Not sure a cessna could pull that off.

The physics are all the same in full scale and rc, it's just that the numbers in the equation are very different.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster