View Single Post
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by kaptondave
Joined Jan 2010
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
... when i'm flying my Radian at 10mph in a 5mph prevailing it does occur, I realise that turning downwind will induce a stall situation, the tighter I turn the worse it will be and I have to fly accordingly..

to quote Dave Thornburg, from the "Old Buzzards Soaring Book" which I am led to believe is the bible according to Glider pilots all over the world..

"Any time you turn downwind, your model has to accelerate (relative to the earth) in order to catch up with the river of air and regain a comfortable airspeed. This acceleration costs you some altitude, and while it's happening the rudder is going to be sluggish, since it is to short of airspeed."

Sorry if my post appears "newbie and borderline moronic" ..
Thomburg is the one that is borderline moronic. You are guilty only of believing that if it is in a book it must be true. The reason you are stalling your Radian in the turn is that you are flying upwind too close to the stall speed. When you turn you are converting part of your lift to aq turning force and do not have enough left to support the plane's weight. I fly a Radian and have seen it happen when I slow it down too much.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave