Thread: Discussion Utah Valley Aeromodelers
View Single Post
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,991 Posts
I don't think it was particularly dangerous because we had spotters at all times, but it was a bit "unconventional", as it were. We're trained in the AMA to stay away from full scale aircraft and airports at all times, so to be invited to fly off the taxi-way was just weird. I went just to be sure it didn't get out of hand, and I think it was fine. I think the people at the event were just as much interested in the RC stuff as anything else. I had my Pilatus PC-21 there and the kids loved the animated pilots. I flew it a couple of times and everything went pretty smooth, except on an approach where one of my flaps didn't deploy properly and it keeled a bit to one side, so I landed without flaps and the plane rolled-out farther than it normally does with flaps.

There weren't that many RC pilots there, so it wasn't a big deal.

Greater separation will be good, but I don't think it'll change anything. There will still be full scale planes landing & taking off, and the guys giving chopper rides will probably still approach from behind and over your heads every 10 minutes, so you'll need to be pretty organized and have two dedicated spotters, one for each pilot that is flying and one for the full scale airplanes who'll be more of a flight boss. You'll need to stay close enough that you can hear each other, and your flights will be short.

I would NOT recommend letting any novice RC pilots fly at the event, or anybody that's prone to "accidents" as it were.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change