Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
16,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Just curious, why do we select the team so far in advance of the worlds? I don't have any problem with it. I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason. Most sports don't choose their representives until just before the event. Look at the Olympic trials, for instance.
Wiz,

There are a ton of logistics involved for attending a world champs. It is unlikely, but some pilots it might be their first time ever traveling to a contest via airline. For others it could be their first contest outside the USA. Passports might have to be acquired and FAI licenses. The team has to select a team manager. And for this process typically resumes are submitted by the community so that will take a few months. Travel has to be figured out. People have to get time off work. F3K isn't the Olympics. These guys will have to ask off from their jobs and make this contest schedule work with their families. And most important the team needs to gel and work together as a team. It is possible the members of the team haven't really called for each other in the past so phone calls, Skype, emails, and in person contests/practices will be worked out amongst the team.

Honestly this team has less than a year to prepare for the 2013 Worlds and that time will go really quickly.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke