Thread: Gallery Just Jimmie Allen models
View Single Post
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Pat Daily
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,583 Posts
David

My Jimmy Allen Parasol (or Pursuit) weighs about 69 grams empty and I am currently flying it with a 9 inch Paulonia wood prop and about 10 ft of 1/4 inch rubber (4 stranded and fairly tightly braided motor--i.e., 400 turns before braiding) which weighs about 20 grams or about 22% rubber of the flying weight. I have not yet wound it up all the way, but I almost lost it with 1400 winds in it.

Earlier I was using a 3/16 motor of similar length with an 8 inch plastic Peck prop. It flew nicely but with a gentler climb.

Remember, roughly 1/4 inch rubber weighs 2 grams per foot, 3/16 is 1.5 grams per foot, and 1/8 is 1 gram per foot.

I am trying to get to the 25%or higher percent rubber as a total of the flying weight.

One other thing--I covered the fuselage sides and bottom with airspan -- it is much tougher than japanese tissue and has held up for 10 years. The rest of the plane is covered in tissue with a coat of thinned Sig litecoat dope and then airbrushed with acrylic colors.

Also don't forget about 5 degrees of down thrust and about 3 degrees of right thrust as a starting point. You may have to adjust later. Test glide it with about 100 winds--it should be a flat glide --if not add nose weight until it is a nice flat descending glide.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Last edited by Pat Daily; Sep 04, 2012 at 10:11 AM.