Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Sorry to pass on tragic news guys but I know a lot of folks have built Dekan's/
Dave's F-22.
This is a post from Bravedan over on the Simple Delta thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2553
"Didn't know where else to post this.............but I guess what more fitting place than in a thread started by him on a plane of his design.

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that my friend, and by contact on this Forum a lot of you too, "Dekan", alias David Kanefsky, passed away recently.

Wrongly diagnosed as having a Hiatus Hernia, later tests and exploratory surgery when his condition worsened finally exposed that he had advanced and untreatable cancer. He only lasted a few days beyond that. David was single, and so has no succeeding family.
snip...

Quote:
We will miss him.

SO, next time you fly your Simple Delta, pass a thought for David up there into the air with it, he was one of life's good guys............"
Andy
This is very moving....and I take this to heart. I have never known the man, nor have I known of him until I built this F-22. Reading these words makes me realize that I am ensuring a part of Dekan continues on by building his plane.

This is my very first scratch build, and only my 3rd RC plane ever...but I will take the extra time and ensure that I do this justice, for Dekan's memory. I used 3 sheets of Dollar Tree foam, removing the paper and double layering everything for sturdiness (my foam was only 4mm thin). I used some Loctite spray adhesive to bond the styrafoam together, then sanded down all the edges to ensure a smooth surface (will probably rub epoxy on all the edges to ensure they stay bonded). Hot glue bonds all the cutouts together, though I worry about the tail fins (they seem a little wobbly even though I recessed them).

Electronics will be added next weekend, I will be using an 1800kv 35 series Prop Drive motor, prop to be determined. I still have to figure out the best way to build my motor mount.

I will be painting her, as soon as I decide what scheme to use...I want it to be special (though my talent is minimal). I am doing my best to make sure this plane honors Dekan, and I will post a pic of the finalized result. Any suggestions to help this be a success would be greatly appreciated. Remember, this is only my first scratch build...so I am sure I have/will goof some things up. Edit: This is the 24" build, in case anyone wonders.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Last edited by Swammy1979; Sep 02, 2012 at 10:35 AM.