Find More Posts by jlkitz
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
1 year flying experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
I really want this plane but don't like digging holes. My current flying experience is with a PZ T-28(50-60 flights) and PZ P-47(28 flights). Is this plane too big a jump for a 1st year pilot?
I bought the 1700mm FMS Mustang with one year of RC flying experience. My previous planes were Parkzone F4U, Parkzone P47, and Parkzone Extra 300. Once you have mastered how to fly a pattern, how to line up a landing and how to set up a nice stable glide one final, you will be fine with the FMS 1700. In truth, it is more stable and less affected by the wind. If you dial in about 70% D/R and 30% Expo, you will find that the plane actually flys like it is on a rail.

I even bought the DuraFly 1100mm P-51 Frankie so that I could fly smaller fields while enjoying the stability of this design..but the 1700mm is easier to takeoff, easier to land and is more "scale" in its flying characteristics.

Advice for the 1700 mm Mustang

- takeoff and land on a flat surface with lots of room to the left of takeoff so that the torque pull doesn't put you into the weeds. You can hold rudder all you want .....anything above half throttle on takoff makes the bird hook to the left. I have viewed many of the videos made by the guys that frequent this forum and have seen that torque management during takeoff and landing is a common issue. Unless you want to spend most of your life repairing gears, struts, cracks in the wing...take off and land it on pavement for your first dozen flights. Practice the gradual application of power while holding the nose up and avoiding a prop strike.

- keep 25 to 30% throttle on while setting up your landing glide. Fly a landing profile that brings the plane from a fairly high altitude with full flaps to a level flight just above the runway. Keep the nose pointed slightly down and the speed slightly up while flying this profile to avoid a tip stall. Fly a landing approach that puts you level at 1-2 feet...then reduce the throttle to set it down on your mains. Many people crash this plane by gliding without throttle on final, and then hitting full throttle low to the ground when they choose to go-around. When flying low and slow, the torque of the 4-blade prop can be a killer as many of these planes roll left, power stall the wing and cartwheel.

- others are correct in stating that a cheaper plane is better for learning, but that statement is because the cost of the smaller airframe...not that the smaller plane is easier to fly, because in fact it may not be. If you are like me and have spent your first year flying 5-15 flights per week while learning how to fly in various conditions with a variety of planes, then you should be ready for this bird.

I took this video 12 months after flying my first RC aircraft, and after having flown the 1700 Mustang about 8-10 times. From here, I'll let you be the judge of your own training and skills because your 1700mm Mustang has the ability to easily fly just as scale and stable as this.

FMS 1700mm P-51 Mustang at Texas Motor Speedway.m2t (4 min 49 sec)
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz