View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by whichwaysup
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,185 Posts
Migstery behavior

Well, had a chance to test out the theory of the loose rudder's impact on the Gyro this a.m. I had to fly her without LG because I lost the nosegear on my last run-in with the cornfield.

It appears that the Rudder WAS causing the problem - or at least a major contributor. Two things were very noticeable this a.m.:

1) The tail wag I was seeing and had attributed to turbulence was actually a function of the gyro not getting enough throw in the rudder and contstantly trying to keep up with the airplane. This was completely eliminated this a.m.

2) The rolling dives were greatly reduced. A normal loop was now perfect - and man I'd forgotten how much better this thing performs without wheels! Almost a different aircraft.

I was still able to get it to misbehave when I gave full and sudden up elevator and I'd be curious if anyone else would be willing to try this on theirs and compare notes - is there something still funky with my Mig, or is this just a function of the airframe.

Oddly enough, I did manage to crash it again (into the same cornfield ) and once again, it happened so suddenly that I can't tell exactly what happened. I was coming out of a loop at high speed but was fairly easy on the sticks (fairly, because I was less than a mistake high and trying to keep some room between Mig and Terra Firma). The only thing I can recollect was thinking that it behaved like a tip stall.

I'm wondering if, now that I've firmed up my horizontal stabilizer (aka that flat thingy that doesn't move on the back), and braced my elevator control horns for less play, that I have so much movement that it's forcing the tail into a slide, forcing a rapid loss of forward airspeed and then throwing into a stall.

I'm going to move the travel back a bit on the elevator to 85-90% and see what happens. However, if any brave soul would be willing, I'd love to hear (or better yet see!) what your Mig does when you use full elevator suddenly as I described.
Just make sure you're about 3 mistakes high and over something soft!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings