I spent the morning at the opthalmologist (did I get that right?
) but while having an afternoon nap (joys of retirement!) I worked out how to do the elevator hinges. The axis of the hinges is about 15mm back into the elevators themselves making the LE extend upward when deflected down. I wanted to use hinge-points as I had a lot and they seemed easier than the plan method of bits of Formica, balsa and other stuff. The hinges are supported in little triangle shaped hard balsa blocks fixed to the tailplane TE bringing the pivot out 15mm. The other side is fixed into balsa blocks in the elevator LE. I got all six hinges aligned and moving freely as one
Not only that, the elevator assembly can be reversed end-for-end and they STILL lineup
The wire U-link joining the elevators was epoxied in place before the upper and lower halves were finally glued. AND I didn't forget to silver solder the brass horn in place first! The rudder will have a similar horn and all hidden behind a balsa tailcone later.........
Now I have to start cutting main wing parts. I want to get this started before rushing into another Rakian build.....