View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Joined Sep 2007
480 Posts
Ok. I can't argue with success, but this whole flybar thing really has me puzzled.
It's extra drag and extra rotating mass. Both decreasing battery life and motor acceleration performance. And no one seems to know why it works, just that it does.

Anyone willing to try an experiment for me?

The flybar has a link on each side that goes down to the rocker arm, then there's a link to the swash plate.
Look at the ball joint where that first link goes down from the flybar.
Measure the maximum distance between the flybar joint and main blade and the minimum distance (rocking the flybar).
Construct something - cardboard (anything it's just an experiment) that will block the flybar from traveling more than halfway toward the main rotor. Glue or tape it to the edge of the rotor inside the link arm so when the flybar comes down, it's blocked.
I think you could just tape something to the link arm so it can't go all the way down.

I'd shoot for not letting it push the rocker arm downward past horizontal. As a first try.

If I'm right, This should allow the heli to have normal characteristics when hovering, but not let the flybar overly imped full control motions.

I won't be able to try it for a while, so hopefully some brave soul will take my bet and see what happens.

PS: I was thinking - maybe a piece of plastic drinking straw, half the length of the linkage over the linkage would do it?
Would need something to keep it inboard so it always hits the main blade and doesn't bing the rocker arm.
RicksterRC is offline Find More Posts by RicksterRC
Last edited by RicksterRC; Aug 28, 2012 at 01:26 AM.