Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by Richard N
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

It's a long way to go for a museum visit and a glider ride.

Pete
Pete,

The NSM may be a bit far for you, but I really enjoy being on the road and my trips are like a task that takes weeks instead of a day.

I planned this leg of my trip to be at Old Rhinebeck on a Sunday morning to see their WWI aircraft fly and got a ride in one of their New Standard D-25 biplanes. After Rhinebeck, I drove west and found a motel near Harris Hill that evening. In the morning I was at the NSM before they opened their doors and took 640 pictures and got a sailplane ride and was finished by 2:11 pm (this was the time stamp on the last picture I took at NSM). From Harris Hill it was less than an hours drive to the Glenn Curtiss Museum and took my first picture there at 3:11 pm and spent the rest of the afternoon there until they pushed me out at closing. I then headed north for Canada to meet a Flying Flea builder in Montreal. I crossed the finish line on my Texas driveway a week later.

Rather than make your trip just about the NSM, visit the other museums on the way. It is the premiere US sailplane museum you can see more vintage sailplanes there than anywhere else in North America. I don't think I will be there again, but I will always be glad that I made it there and took a flight.

Richard
Richard N is online now Find More Posts by Richard N