View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Joined Nov 2005
3,699 Posts
Contest
100M Launch ALES-DARTS Contest

Well, on Saturday the DARTS club in Dayton, OH tried a 100M launch height ALES event. The CD was Bill Hoelcher from Columbus and it was his idea to try it out.

I must admit, that I thought that a 100M launch would look like a pop off on the winch, but it doesn't. Now, flying at the DARTS field is like flying in a bowl as you kind of are in a low spot relative to surounding ground. But the 100M launch looks like a really short tow in F3J or a short field hi start. With the Tragi, I basically buzzed arond in a circle to set up my ascent in the last ten seconds to coincide with the location I was trying to get to. It worked pretty well.

Bill called eight minutes all day and it really would not have mattered as it was very good conditions, just like a TD contest we flew there the weekend before. Pretty much any wind shift was air and it usually paid off. The launch was high enough, that at least for any ship with LD, that even if you did not nail your launch you could get to the lift. I saw a Radian as high as I had ever seen one.

I do believe that as time goes on contest organizers will drop the launch height to 150M's and some more will give 100M's a try. What a friend has said is that during a given day, you could even lower the launch height as the day goes on and conditions change to toughen up the proceedings.

It just proved to be an entertaining day.
Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart