View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by u2builder
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,995 Posts
I never drain my glow fuel tanks. I don't really want to "contaminate" the fuel in the jug. I have about 20 glow planes hanging from the rafters. I leave whatever fuel is in them until I fly them again. Sometimes it is next year. Sometimes it might be two years for all I know. They all hang with whatever fuel is in them. I do not run the engines dry. Just shut them off. I live in the NE and we have our fair share of humid days in the summer, and the garage goes below freezing in the winter. I do put a liberal amount of 50 50 marvel tool oil/ATF in each plane at the end of the flying season and run Omega which has 30% castor oil. All my engines are Saitos. They all start right up whenever they are called upon to do so, even the next flying season. I usually clear the prop a few times before I fire them up, but not always. I think the Castor oil is probably what saves me. So far I have had good luck with bearings. Probably after I write this I will have problems. I am not saying it is the thing to do, only that it has seemed to work for me.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder