View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by martinjdw
Aberdeenshire
Joined Jan 2011
30 Posts
Thank you Anthony,

I've now got to decide how I intend controlling the thrusters, turn on lights, cameras etc.

My inital thoughts are a USB gamepad into a small PC, maybe an SBC, Atom type board with a simple GUI (all at the surface), then an RS485 link to the ROV. I have been thinking about possibly using one of those Raspberry PI boards at the surface too as I'm into my retro computing, specifically BBC Micros, or maybe even a BBC micro 8 bit computers still rock

On the ROV there'll then be an oil filled box with a compliant lid (which can be used as a basic compensator) and a pressure tolerant PCB, taking the comms from the surface and distributing it to the thrusters etc on either an analogue output (maybe PWM into a capacitor .... but SPI or I2C DACs aren't that expensive these days) for speed, and a digital control for direction, or maybe just mutliple TTL RS232 links to each thruster.

Lots to think about and do .... time will tell I suppose.

Oh and six sets of thruster components to make and assemble, as well as decide how I'm gonna do the lights and camera and frame and buoyancy and tether

Martin
martinjdw is offline Find More Posts by martinjdw
Last edited by martinjdw; Aug 23, 2012 at 09:22 AM.