Thread: Discussion 2nd boat recommendations ?
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
Gentlemen, what would be a good "2nd" boat to get ? My only experience is with the AQ Mini Wildcat but now I'm ready for something with a little bit more speed. Was looking at the EP Wildcat, minimono, or the newest version of the Pro boat Shockwave in either BL or Brushed. Leaning on the EP wildcat cuz I have the battery packs for them already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What about sailboats are they pretty cool to run ?

Thanks in advance, Marcusg
Marc
You ask about sailboats - coming from a powerboat background, basically I was into things that would go very fast, so people that know me are still wondering how I got so hooked on RC sailing.
Currently I own 9 rc sailboats - I still have a number of my power boats and rc aircraft but, my primary interest is RC sailing.

My sense of rc sailing is you get more bang for your bucks - Running hot boats and aircraft provides a rush for sure, but you get what, five to seven minutes?
Sailing is something you can enjoy for hours, solo, with friends, you can race, or not. The are many ways to enjoy this very beautiful part of the hobby.

I like boats and planes that look real - like many when I was a kid, I built model cars and airplanes. Now much later in life I am building models again and loving it. I was introduced to rc sailing by two of my best friends that were accomplished sailor both full sized boats and rc.

One of the guys had a boat that when I saw it, I knew I had to have one. It was a Tamiya Yamaha Round the World - which is a 1/20th scale model of the full sized Yamaha W60 Round the World racing yacht that won the Whitbread Round the World race. Now called the Volvo RTW. His boat was so close to the real thing - I couldn't believe it. It took me 6 months of constant searching to find one, but I did and now years later it is still my favorite boat. (I now have two of them)

Sailing is done for the most part in very nice places, my home lake is in the middle of a golf course and I drive to the shoreline in my golf cart and drop the boat in, sail for hours, surrounded by great scenery, fresh air, a little Sinatra on the carts stero, a few adult beverages and lots of laughs with my sailing buddies.

I could go on but I am sure you get the message. The boats are beautiful and provide a source of enjoyment and relaxation you'll not get running a power boat or flying an rc aircraft.

If you'd like more info, send me a PM - we can chat. I posted a few pictures that tell may help to tell the story - also check out the sailboat threads on this forum.

One in particular will give you a pictorial of this side of the hobby check out this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...332523&page=41

72,000+ hits can't be wrong. Enjoy
Boomer
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1