Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
Discussion
Let's talk power distribution

For my quad's last setup I was just using 20a ESCs, so a HK power distribution board suited me well. Now I'm moving up to 30a ESCs, and the board isn't going to be up to handling the amp draw safely.

So I made a harness "squid" using 16 gauge and 10 gauge, but I don't think my main solder joints are very good; I don't think I got things hot enough to fully melt everything together using the method that I did (tieing the open tinned wire ends together with a single strand wire and then heating everything up and filling the solder in). The joint just looks like a big mess, lol. Feels strong, but I'm concerned about actually using it... Plus, I think the ends are just WAY too long, but that's easily fixed.

I'm going for a 10 gauge input wire splitting into four 16 gauge ESC wires, and I would like to use 2.5mm bullets on them to so ESC swaps will be easy it needed. I know using connectors add weight, but I think that little bit of weight should be negligible with this rig. I'm also trying to keep overall lengths down to keep from power fluctuations and killing ESCs.

I'm waiting on my motors to come in so I can mount them and the ESCs so I know just how long I need to make the wire leads, but in the mean time I'd like to see some home brewed ESC harnesses you guys have made and get some ideas. I've bounced around the RCG, Google, and YouTube and have gotten some ideas, but I'd like to see if there's another technique out there that would work good for my case.

Thanks!
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder