Thread: Build Log Building my first CNC router.
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Quick61
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
A couple hours ago I ordered a ER11 chuck (plus three collets) with the idea of making a spindle using a brushless motor, instead of using my Proxxon minitool as a router.

Here I'd appreciate some advice on the motor choice and how to best couple it to the chuck shaft. I'm thinking of using a belt and pulley assembly, or directly use the chuck shaft as the motor shaft. I don't know what motor I could find with an 8mm shaft, that is, that wouldn't be excessively large for this router.
So suggestions sought and appreciated...

By the way, I forgot to mention that the router will have a table size of 60x40 centimeters and a Z travel of at least 10 centimeters.
Just starting on my machine, I have been giving the tool head part thoughts my own self. Using a brushless was up there on my list. I figured a belt drive and a set of pulleys would be the way to go with 2:1, 1:1, and 1:2 ratios it would make for a very versatile benchtop cutting, milling, engraving machine. Only trouble is fabricating the parts to get it right without the machine, so a simple mount with dremel type tool will be good to start and then make the pieces-parts to upgrade later and free up the tool for hand work. I was really trying hard to get the cost below $200 and still have something viable, like a 16"x16"x4" (40x40x10 cm) table.... under $300, easy, under $200, not so much.

Sense I was going over budget anyway, i decided to spend a few more $ and go with the MakerSlide rail system and save myself a boatload of fabrication hassle. Anyway, I'll be watching and if you decide to go with a brushless setup, I'll be very interested to see what you come up with.

Your machine is looking good and I'm sure it will bring you a lot of good service, After all, just get a load of those ball screws! Things have come a long way sense I built my first machine some years back. Big heavy steel thing being driven with an amped up HP plotter driver taking signals from an old i386 running DOS and an early version of DanCAD / DanCAM back around '87. Ah, those were the days. now I'm looking forward to getting back in it.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61