View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by reedbanjo
Joined Jan 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Post Photos!! Please! I am going to assume that you are going to take steps to preserve these wonderful artifacts of our history.
I fully intend to preserve them - but tether boats are being thrown in the trash faster than I can located them. Joe Sparr was the kingpin of the Baltimore, Md. early tether boat fellows.....racing homebuilt 30cc engines which were three times the size of the Hornet, Atwood Champion, and Dooling. Many years ago I was able to locate Mr. Sparr. We enjoyed many an evening of horse trading stuff. He wanted engines which he was never able to afford or locate, and I wanted to reassemble and restore his Class A tether boats.....which had been taken apart over the previous fifty or sixty years. He would pull out an engine wrapped in some old rag, and I would pull out a couple of 10cc store bought engines which he had always wanted to own.....and we would trade. I would bring his 30cc engine home and clean and polish it and take it, along with other trade goodies, back to Baltimore. He would pull out the original hull for my lovely 30cc engine and the trading would furiously start again. Many trips later I had all three 30cc engines back in the original hulls and mounted on stands so they could be appreciated in "as new condition." I was so very lucky to locate and be able to spend a lot of nights with such a handsome piece of history as Joe Sparr was.
Reed Martin reedbanjo@verizon.net restorer of old tether boats
reedbanjo is offline Find More Posts by reedbanjo