Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
United States, CA, Lompoc
Joined Nov 2010
4,228 Posts
Discussion
Lipos for auto racing use

Yes, you read it right.

Long story short I race karts. No not your average pay $10 and go around the track go kart. We are talking advaced 120mph+ karts. The kind that compare closer to F1 than any other vehicle in the world.... Anyways enough about that.

I race in a class of Rotax 125cc karts. They have digital ignition powered by a 2.5 amp hours lead battery which weighs 6 pounds. Doing some quick calculations I could either have a Lipo battery that weighs 10oz, and the same capacity, or a Lipo battery of the same weight with 25ah!

The lead battery is 12v so my only option would be to use a 4s battery with a voltage regulator! These are very common and used all the time such as in DLG or for RX packs. My problem is I need a voltage regulator, that can regulate at 12volts but can still put out up to 15amps.. I assume that's plenty, as I have never really checked the current used... I assume realistically quite a bit less as the lead battery lasts for about 3-4 hours of driving.....

So any help either creating my own, and or where I can purchase a voltage regulator?

I have pondered the idea of a simple resistor... But would like something that would more reliably stay at 12.5 volts
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14