View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by RoryG
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
709 Posts
I had my FMS Cessna 1400mm out in crazy winds yesterday, just to see if the Guardian could cope! Wind was SE 15 knots with gusts measured to 25 - I really shouldn't have been out!

Take off was a bit hairy with the poor aircraft rising vertical and going backwards, but once under control she flew amazing, in fact it was great fun flying in winds that previously would have grounded me. OK, it was a bit extreme and not something I'll make a habit of - 10 to 15 knots is a realistic maximum for a 1.5Kg aircraft even with the Guardian... Slow upwind fly-by's at 3/4 throttle looked fantastic, I even braved some low passes and she was as solid as a rock. Downwind at 3/4 throttle and she was going like a rocket.

Normally after an 8 minute flight I have about 11.5v in a 2200mAh 3S LiPo, but only had 11.0v after a 6 minute flight - boy those servos must have been working overtime!

As for landing, well it was a greaser; 1/2 throttle to the flair and she landed at slow walking speed. The Guardian kept the wings and pitch just perfect all the way down final - great stuff!
RoryG is offline Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Eshaness, Shetland