Havin' a HeLi Good Time!
Dallas, TX by way of Kelleys Island
Joined Mar 2009
85 Posts
Trader Rating: 119
Not EVERYONE wants FBL

Just ask Bert Kammerer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXJpyzlOE4

I personally will always keep a FB heli for the smooth way they fly and the superior feel around "center" and the way it feels "indexed" to the air. That may change when I get my hands on an MSH Brain which Bert recommends, but there's something "classic" about a FB setup. While the FBL setup reacts after the heli moves off center, the FB heli remains stable due to the damping algorithm built into the head mechanics / flybar; that is the reason why the 700 FB and multirotors are the platform of choice for aerial photography. With a FBL heli you get a tiny wiggle in the video as the heli constantly moves off center and is corrected back by the 3-axis gyro while the FB heli is inherently stable.

But in the end what clearprop88 says is basically true - the masses are going FBL and I think the simplicity is the main reason - for the average person getting into the hobby, learning to set up a FB heli correctly is hard!

If you are unsure, keep the thing and fly it! After all, the FB heli is what the FBL systems are all trying to emulate in the first place!

Anyways just my $0.02's worth...

Cheers,

Bill
kelleysislande is online now Find More Posts by kelleysislande