Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Steve, you are a genius! And I frickin' really mean it!

Care to share the dimensions of the rudder extension, 'cause I'm going to cut some depron RIGHT NOW!
ok.. it was 3mm depron, it extended roughly 75-80mm in height and maybe 35mm out the rear tapering to zero at the bottom of the rudder.. I've attached a better photo.

After the video flight I trimmed the foam down to something that looks a lot better, the idea being that once I find the smallest size that still works I'll build a new rudder. The size that I trimmed down to was 55mm high and 10mm at the rear. Unfortunately some wing rock came back but it was still a lot better, it's probably going to be a compromise between best stability and still looking reasonably ok.

If anyone else wants to experiment with different sized and shapes of extension that would be cool. the wind came up for me and it was pointless testing any more.

I'll upload a vid of the second flight with the trimmed down extension.

PS.. I taped a bit of 1.5mm carbon rod extending over the leading edge of the depron and over the leading edeg of the balance horn... this stiffened the foam up a bit.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Aug 08, 2012 at 11:38 AM.