Thread: Discussion Duratrax 1/5 DXR 500 superbike
View Single Post
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by Guidoracer
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,355 Posts
guru: Sorry I never got back to you about the Shoe Goo (or other RTV) on aluminum rims method. It may be a bit too late, but here it is anyway:

- Clean the tire bead and the rim with your favorite residue-free solvent (I use 91% isopropyl alcohol).

- Mount up the tire and insert to the wheel and wrap the side you are going to glue twice around with vinyl electrical tape, stretching it as you wrap to make it nice and tight.

- Pull back a bit of the tire away from the rim and squeeze Shoe Goo (using the extension tip with just the very end cut off) into bead area. Work your way around the tire until every bit of the bead has Shoe Goo in it. The electrical tape wrap helps ensure the tire seats back into the bead area snugly.

- Squeeze the excess Shoe Goo out from the tire and wipe it off. It usually takes a few wipes. I then like to let it sit for a couple of minutes then rub off the rest of the excess Shoe Goo (it rubs off like a gum eraser).

- Next, run a bead of Shoe Goo around the area where the rim meets the sidewall of the tire, and flatten it with a wet finger (wetting your finger prevents the Shoe Goo from sticking to it).

Let it cure overnight and do the other side the next morning and let the whole thing cure another day.

A couple of notes: I usually do a front and a rear at the same time to maximize my time. To clean the white Shoe Goo tips, get as much Goo out of it as possible, then let whatever is left in there dry for a couple of days. Then you can use a pair of pliers to pull the dried stuff out in once piece, leaving a perfectly clean tip. I have a couple of Shoe Goo tips laying around so while one is drying to clean it, I still have another one I can use. The bead of Goo where the sidewall meets the rim is key. If it does start to break up, you can carefully peel that outer bead off and reapply a Goo bead. Tires glued up this way are re-mountable 95% of the time, though it does take a bit of elbow grease and some patience to peel all the Goo of. I've only had one tire in a couple dozen that I couldn't get all the Goo off to remount onto another rim.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer