View Single Post
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,164 Posts
In all honesty, the main thing that has put me off rubber in general is all the pre and post faffing that needs to be done; lubrication, removal of lunrication, hanging motors in darkened places under a full moon to reduce (but not remove) the chances of an exploding motor wiping out the whole shebang. I actually found a box of FAI Tan in the loft unused (and never likely to be!). But I digress.....

Well, last night I had a spare half hour whilst young Pippa Blinkette was at Pony Club and Lady Blink had taken car & trailer to Oddbins to stock up, so I had a bash at this here covering malarkey. I covered one of my test frames. I used a single sealing coat of unthinned varnish on the wood, unthinned Balsaloc, mylar, damp tissue floated across water a la Sundancer, and a single coat of unthinned varnish brushed through to attach the tissue. I covered both sides of the test frame, and although possibly not perfect, I am reasonably pleased with the results - especially when dry. I know that this is about the simplest thing in the world to cover, but at least a decent proportion of the Ajax is square!

The weight gain of the test piece due to covering was 0.5 - 0.6g. Allowing for a fair amount of error in weights as low as this on a set of cheap scales, this still gives a projected weight of covering in the low 20s; so lets say c25g. If this proves to be true, this will still enable to total weight to still be close to my upper target of 180g.

Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink