Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Find More Posts by Launch-1
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,662 Posts
Hooray a Junior pilot

Hi Frank,

Glad to hear that there is a new Junior in the system. When you mention "qualifier" points, I'm assuming that you are refering to Team Selection.

Under the current progam (which is done for the 2013 cycle) Juniors do not have a point earning requirmement and also do not have to pay to compete in the TS contest. All they have to do is fly in an AMA Sanctioned contest for F3K and they become eligible for the TS. The rules for the 2015 cycle have not been announced by Tom K (RC Soaring committee chair). I suppose the rules could change for the upcoming cycle.

The question in my mind is, how old will the now Junior be during the year of 2015 when the World Championship will be held? If he is 18 during the year of 2015, then he will be classified as a Jr. If he turns 18 before 2015, then he will become a Senior at that time and need qualifying points to be TS eligible.

This is my understanding at the moment concerning Juniors. I don't think there is any consideration of the category that you are calling "novice".
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1