Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by davidterrell80
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
4,664 Posts
CONSTRUCTION THOUGHTS

Controls
-- The AR6400T has the rudder and elevator servo integrated in the board. perhaps I should plan to put the board in one boom, aft of a motor, over or behind the wing. Then, I can run the elevator and rudder control linkages aft, through the boom to the tail surfaces. This, in turn, would allow me to control the elevator from one end, so the surface needs to be relatively stiff and perhaps balanced. For the rudders, I can use a pitch horn on one and use a linkage to reach across to the other side. Again, stiffness will be important. perhaps, a trailing edge carbon rod linking the two. The aileron servo could easily be in the opposite boom and I would use a single aileron, full-span on the outboard section. If the single surface proves insufficient, I can run a long rod to the opposite wing for a second aileron.

Fuselage
-- I could use a balsa or foam in a form and stringer approach to the fuselage and cover it with a material like aerolite.
-- As to any lateral CG issues, the fat fuselage gives me plenty of room to shift something to balance laterally.
-- Battery placement and construction. I'm thinking of incorporating a parting line in the fuselage at the waterline marked by the base of the wing. The entire assembly of wing, booms and enpennage would lift off the lower fuselage and I could then attach the battery to the underside of the wing as needed for balance, both side-to-side and fore-and-aft. In fact, I could build the wing, booms, and enpennage as a single structural unit; building a separate fuselage to attach to it.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member