Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by davidterrell80
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
4,639 Posts
Build Log
Cartoon C-119

This is my first build log. So please, be gentle.

Back in 1963, I received several toy airplanes as Christmas presents. Among them was a toy C-119. Finding the photograph in my late father's Navy footlocker, I became tempted to make a cartoon RC out of the idea, based on my memories.

I do not remember what happened to the plane but, I remembered that the fuselage was an dark blue plastic and the wings and booms were silver. I wondered if I could build something around the PZ UM Mosquito brick, motors and props, keeping the weight down to overcome the added drag... or would something in the 180-size be necessary? I started making some sketches from the photo and recording some thought on a blog thread.

Then, I decided to go looking for information on the toy. found the same toy at the "National Museum of Play Online Collections" C-184-10 / U.S. Army Globemaster / Flying Boxcar

I also found an antique toy trader with a example of the toy.
http://www.txantiquemall.com/ttm_vintoys.htm
US Army Transport C-184-10
Materials: Metal & Plastic, Decals on Both Engine Mounts/Tail
Size: Wing Span: 22"; Nose to Tail: 17"
Condition: Played With, Split to Plastic on Nose & Tail

Interestingly, he was located less than 80 miles from where I grew up (Conroe, Texas) so, conceivably, he might have my toy.

I wanted it back! So, I bought it!

I received the prototype toy... and, it was spooky. I thought to myself, "I remember it being bigger." I suppose to a 5-year old it was huge.

I sat down and measured the airframe. Then, I began laying out a top view drawing. I can tell that the big challenge will be the main fuselage. The compound contours cry out for a vacuum molded shell but, I don't have the equipment. I could "make do" using the luan plywood, George Foreman grilling machine, and shop vac... and I may yet.

I finished the main portion of the drawing... lacking only a thorough treatment of the fuselage.

So... let us look to where we are going, never forgetting where we have been. With all of our errors showing, let us begin.
Hi, Ho, Silver! AWAY!

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member