Thread: Discussion Utah Aerial Photography and FPV
View Single Post
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
382 Posts
Well, honestly, what influences my decision the most is hackability. Being an EE student, I'm pretty guilty of taking every single electronic thing I've got apart and sniffing the signals that shoot around inside of them with my logic analyzer. I'm interested in seeing exactly what RF modules the various LRS systems use, as in: Are the designers using a custom made RF front end with, like, Skyworks ICs; or are they using a pre-built solution like a Hope RF module? What is the packet format and data rate the designer is using? Do they use forward error correction, and if so, what is the algorithm. Can I flash the microcontroller in there with my own firmware, is the firmware locked down, or can I read it off and reverse-engineer it?

I guess more generally, I'm interested in if I can make my own OSD interface with whatever the LRS system has available. Can you make your own OSD for Dragon Link instead of having to buy the DragonOSD? Which LRS system allows me to extensively modify the firmware, or get lower level access to the system?
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy