United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Nice job Mark,I like the colour,suits the ships name
What were theProblems with theSkyloft?
Stuart
To make a long sad story short, it just became unmanageable on such a large wing. Like most material like it, one starts in the middle and works towards the edges. by the time I was headed to the outside, the middle was drying out and shrinking, causing uncorrectable wrinkles in between. I would of had to of gotten the wing soaking wet to of had any hope, and that would not of ended well.

I toke the bird out for a few test tosses in the tall grass and found that the tail fin had gotten to wet and warped, so I had the thing wanting to turn left the entire time. Not too bad, but enough. I did however get it balanced out, or at least close, so it's not taking a nose or tail dive. Brought it back home and it looks like I now have the warp out. If I had it to do over again, and I just might. I will wax paper bag the fin/rudder with 3/4oz glass and GG. That always makes for a nice flat, strong and relatively light part.

Think next up will be a little slope action with it to get it sorted out before I try to send it up the line, unless I get tired of waiting for the wind to come in at the right direction. I have been known to give things that "go or blow" kind of attitude.

Mark

Oh, and one wing came out heaver than the other so that could not of helped things with the turning either, og I'm thinking some paint, stripes and/or logo on the light wing. I do have some day glow green that would really stand out. Now to do up some masking templates.
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61