Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by whichwaysup
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I made a little progress tonight, you can see it in the photos, the first picture is what the plane looked like after the dog ate it, and the rest of the pictures are the progress of the rebuild.

I managed to do a better job of getting that decal installed correctly this time on the top front of the cowl in front of the windshield.

just for the record, that decal is supposed to simulate duct tape.

During WWII those panels on the top of the cowl used to work loose and the screws would pop out, and replacement parts at the time were limited on the battle front so the quick easy fix was to cover the panels with duck tape to hold them down and that is exactly what that decal is supposed to represent.

the Corsair with the number 86 was not the plane that Major Boyington flew, #86 was the plane chosen by the army air core for his photo shoots, that's why you always see him with that plane.

the plane he preferred to fly into combat was the oldest plane in his fleet at the time, #883

because #86 was the newest plane in the fleet, and had not seen a lot of combat, it was a very clean intact aircraft, therefore the duct tape wasn't used to hold the panels on in front of the windshield, that's why it's not seen in any of the photos.
(Insert angels singin here) Nice work resurrecting her! Cant wait to see how she flies. Btw - i will have to replace the wing on the corsair i just bought (used) how hard will it be?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings