View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:24 PM
ToddL is offline
Find More Posts by ToddL
Registered User
ToddL's Avatar
Chandler, AZ, USA
Joined May 2001
182 Posts
Radical Edge Motor Mods

I started this in another thread, but I thought I would open another.

I got the motor mods finished and mounted in the plane. The modifications reduced the weight of the plane from 10.20 down to 10.12 oz (on 8 cells). Not too bad for a little work.

I have not got to fly it yet because of the winds lately. Maybe tomorrow.

The modifications I did were:

- Installed ball bearings in the motor front and rear
- Turned down the prop shaft between the bearings from .115" down to .075"
- Removed the steel clips that hold the magnets in, and CA'd the magnets to the can
- Added a hole in the can to allow the commutator to be cleaned
- Removed extra material from the brass tube
- Removed the extra length from the prop shaft
- Put holes in the plastic gear

Hopefully, I will pick up a little more power from the bearings.

Here is a picture of the installed motor:

Todd L.
ToddL is offline Find More Posts by ToddL
Reply With Quote