View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by canard addict
Joined Jun 2005
2,576 Posts
Duck Twin test flight

A great day to fly happened last week with moderate temp. low wind and a blue sky. The large amount of vertical fin area kept it straight into the wind on take off. Two clicks of DOWN elevator trim gave near level flight past mid throttle and that setting was held throughout the flight. When testing for canard stall with full UP elevator at low cruise speed, it responded with repeated oscillating canard stalls. With reduced power and full UP elevator it went into a nose high mush position which I had hoped for to make a three point landing easy. With about 3/4 throttle, it did a large round loop which drew applause from one in the crowd. The next test was a steep banking turn at cruise speed which it did without any tendency to drop the nose. I give the credit to the 50% canard and the large side fuselage area up front. I briefly tried rudder at level flight and at knife edge position but found it was overly sensitive at zero exponential. The base turn was pretty at lowest throttle and the landing touch down was an easy three points. The all white side view will have to be changed and today I am building red wing fins for it.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict