View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by Dudley Dufort
Webmaster & Newsletter SVSS
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
126 Posts
Buttonwillow or Atascadero?

I was talking with John about the "No Vacancy" sign hanging at the California Valley Lodge for our September contest. I offered to do some research on alternate places to stay. Unless your camping at CV, your choice essentially boils down to Buttonwillow or Atascadero.

The difference in distance and travel time between the two is negligible. Each is about an hour. Atascadero offers more amenities than does Buttonwillow. After all the Central Coast is a "destination" while Buttonwillow is more of a "crash pad" for weary I-5 travelers.

In talking with the SVSS cross country guys, we're in favor of staying in Atascadero. There are some GREAT places for us all to gather for dinner and Hoover's Beef Palace in Templeton (5 miles north) is an absolute must for breakfast!

While communal cooking and eating at the CV Kitchen is fun, it's also a lot of work for those packing the provisions. The effort is further complicated by the fact that we're not staying at the Lodge. My recommendation is to forgo the kitchen this year and dine out.

The Holiday Inn and Best Western are a bit pricy at $165 & $140 per night. My recommendation is the Motel 6 at only $80. Motel 6 and McDonalds share a common trait; it ain't great but you know what to expect. There are rooms available and I'd suggest making reservations early as there is some big shindig in Santa Margarita on the same weekend as our contest and rooms could become scarce

The contest dates are 9/29 & 9/30. The Dust Devils will be saying at Motel 6 on Friday & Saturday nights, 9/28 & 9/29.

The number for Motel 6 is 805-466-6701.

Dudley
Dudley Dufort is online now Find More Posts by Dudley Dufort