Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz View Post
+1 on the heat and carefully bend method. However, if left like this, they can tend to flatten out again over time, especially if left somewhere hot. (if your model lasts that long). They are also quite easy to break on landings. I have two methods to help here:-

1)Cut a vertical slot in the tip feather and insert a thin (1mm) ply spar, which is shaped to the right bend radius.

or

2) Having bent the cell foam, cover top and bottom with paper, applied with wallpaper paste or similar.

Images attached show the ply inserts on some larger tips, that were then covered over with 3mm depron (cell foam) on top, but the principle works just as well on single thickness foam, if the ply is cut flush with the surfaces.

Malcolm
Though not tried yet, I also considered making my tip featheras out of EPP foam sheet, and stiffening them with a 1-2mm CF rod forced down the feather slightly in front of the center line (similar to a real feather shaft. The idea being to let them deflect upwards like a real feather does in flight. Not tested, but would be fun to try.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank