Thread: Discussion fuselages
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by tom43004
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
7,368 Posts
I've had lots of good parts after balloon failures, but then again I've probably had more balloon failures than most people have pulled fuselages.

I'm glad this one happened while you were there. It's very frustrating to make scrap. I have about 15 downstairs in my "bones" pile that I just refuse to toss out but eventually I will. Bladders fail and stay put but just leak. Balloons fail and snap back, often pulling a layer of fabric with them depending on how sticky the layup is at that point. I've been successful at saving them with blown bladders / balloons as much as an hour after closure, which is about 1:45 after epoxy mix in my case. You have to work quickly, and the parting plane will be full of sticky epoxy pulling PVA everywhere, but you can save them. This is how I know that my Corian molds will release with Partall #2 wax alone. In a few cases, the PVA was completely torn off the parting plane while opening the mold to replace a blown bladder. No major sticking resulted thankfully.

Either way, good luck. I always sleep better when the compressor doesn't run, ever. I have a small tank on mine so if there is any significant leaking at all, it runs frequently enough to really annoy me.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004