Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Okay thank you. What would you say is good for low rates? Oh and the paper airplane one...well i didn't put any dihedral into it. I didn't know how to keep it up.... But if you tell me how to add dihedral, i can redo it. Also, are you sure that this power system is enough for the paper airplane? Its the one i was going to use for the DTD:

Dynam Combo that you linked me to

11.1v 800mah 20c lipo

8x6 slo fly prop
I would definitely add dihedral to the paper airplane one . You can probably cut the wings off ( with a NEW , SHARP blade ) about a 1/4 " from where they are glued together , and then re-glue them back together with dihedral .
The way I do it is : lay one wing flat on some wax paper ( on a flat table or work bench ) , then put hot glue on the first 3-4" starting at the nose . Press the other wing up against it while holding it up at an angle to the first one , keep holding it that way until the glue sets . Put more hot glue ( 3-4" again ) on the flat wing ( on the wax paper ) by the prop slot , then press the other wing up against it while holding it up at the same angle . After that glue sets , put more hot glue ( 3-4" again ) on the flat wing ( on the wax paper ) by the tail end , press the tail end of the other wing against that while holding it up at the same angle as before . After that glue sets , run a bead of glue along the entire joint , top and bottom .
The greater that angle the more dihedral you'll have - and the more self righting you'll have . BUT , too much dihedral and your wings will lose lift .
That motor combo should fly the paper airplane OK if you keep it light , and it will probably be a little overpowered for the DTD . Oh well , you'll have unlimited vertical .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon