Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by Fairwind900
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
924 Posts
RG65 build Round Ranger

Yo,

The boats are loaded in the truck for tomorrow and nothing was on TV so I spent some time with the RG65 Round Ranger project today.

Goal was to install the Keel box that will hold the helicopter blade. The Keel box is made out of fiberglass. I had the opening in the bottom of the hull for a tight fit of the blade but today I made it a bit wider to accept the keel box too. I wanted the keel box to extend past the hull so that I would get a good tight fit and keep it from wandering.

With 30 min epoxy mixed with micro balloons and the hull rough sanded. I pushed it in place and laid in the epoxy. On top of the epoxy I set in some scraps of fiberglass to help secure it.

The blade is now removed from the boat and the epoxy is curing.

I checked it with a laser and it seamed straight but round rangers don't give you anything square to go by.

After an hour in 80 degree temp the epoxy is starting to set. I checked the bottom of the keel opening and cleaned up excess epoxy. Then once again installed the keel and checked alignment. Hopefully it will cure in the current position. I'll pull the keel tomorrow after the epoxy has hardened (if I can) and test it one more time. I can fine tune the alignment when I drill and secure the keel bolt.

Rick
Fairwind900 is online now Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Last edited by Fairwind900; Jul 14, 2012 at 08:52 PM.