View Single Post
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,568 Posts
$10 Hobbywing Skywalker 20A Speed Controller

The Hobbywing Skywalker 20A ESC is an excellent budget speed controller. Once set up properly you will get what you would have expected from the stock Walkera 20A ESC, plus a lot more. This speed controller seemed to add some power to my stock motor. It could have been that my ESC was going bad, but it did seem stronger once set up.

Product description

Specifications:
Model: Skywalker-20A
Continuous Current: 20A
Burst Current (>10s): 25A
BEC Mode: Linear
BEC Output: 5V2A
BEC Output Capability: 5 Servos (2S Lipo) / 4 Servos (3S Lipo)
Battery Cell: 2-3S (Lipo) / 5-9 cells (NiMH)
Net Weight: 19g
Dimension (L x W x H): 42 x 25 x 8mm

Features:
Use top quality components to get strong current endurance.

Low voltage cut-off protection / over-heat protection / throttle signal loss protection.

3 start modes: Normal / Soft / Super-Soft, compatible with fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter.

Smooth, linear and precise throttle response.

Maximum motor speed: 210000 PRM (2 poles), 70000 RPM (6 poles), 35000 RPM (12 poles).

Here is a link to the user manual pdf: http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-01-SW.pdf

You will have to enter programming mode to set the throttle limits and to turn off breaking. With the 2618V and 2612V this had been difficult for me. Now that I have done it a bunch of times, it is very easy(see video below) I personally use the highest timing setting. After many flights the stock motor is still working. It just runs very hot. Nothing new there. I recently replaced it with the Turbo Ace 352 motor with a 18T pinion, custom ordered. Also on the highest timing. So far no issues.

Update 07/28/12:
I am also using this ESC on max timing for the Turbo Ace 352 motor with no issues so far. The nice thing here is that the TA motor runs much cooler than the stock motor. So i can fly packs back to back, especially in the summer. Less downtime between packs.

4f200 - Hobbywing Skywalker 20A ESC - How to: programming mode (6 min 44 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM.