Thread: Build Log RCRCM Strega Build
View Single Post
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by krvedaa
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
Build Log
RCRCM Strega Build

The plan is to put in details here with the building / assembly of the RCRCM Strega just received.

Vital weights:

Joiner = 108 gram

Right wing = 585 grams

Left wing = 589 grams

Left V-tail = 47 grams

Right V-tail = 49 grams

Fuselage = 227 grams

Modified Ballast tube = 41 grams

Modified Servo tray = 25 grams

Total weight of not assembled glider = 1671 grams

This is pretty light after my standards, and yes, this a glass, carbon re-inforced model.
The hope is that this model should come out at 2,1Kg, not more than 2,2Kg.

I see at other Strega threads that Cg is around 113mm, but I understand these are folks
that like an aft Cg. I am pointing out to land the ballast tube at 110mm to be safe, and that I do
not like the behaviour of too aft CG on models. In my head, I envision that the "new, dynamic"
flying style in F3F, do not especially suit well with a too aft CG. But I am more than happy to receive feedback
concerning CG for the Strega.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

First a custom made ballast tube was prepared, see thread "Ballast tube 101".

The 17mm diameter and 36 cm long supplied ballast tube would only permit approx. 900 grams of lead ballast.

The one made have 22mm inside diameter and an efficient ballast chamber of 48,5 centimeters.

22mm dia. slugs 6,05cm long, does give 250 grams for each slug, lead moulded inside this dimensions brass
tubes, giving a total of 2 kilograms of ballast with 8 slugs, that should be more than sufficient for this model.

To allow this ballast tube, a custom made servo-tray had to be prepared, firstly to allow side by side servo-
mount, and also that the servo tray needs to be used to secure the ballast. A cover over the back end, secures
the ballast, 4mm machine screw in front, and two 3mm ply-wood plates in the back end of the slug opening.

A opening in the front of the servo-tray allow the 2/3A 4,8V battery package to slip in, as well as the Futaba R617FS receiver
to fit in the battery opening with the servo-cable connectors being put inside under the servo tray.

The long servo-tray glued into the ballast tube, as shown in the connetion surface in servo-tray picture 8, as well as the whole ballast tube
will be glued with epoxy, mixed with micro (0,2mm) glassfiber cuts in the floor of the fuselage, should add strength to the fuse.

Pictures show the detail what have been tried explained in words......

To be continued......
krvedaa is offline Find More Posts by krvedaa
Last edited by krvedaa; Jul 15, 2012 at 03:45 AM.