Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielips1954 View Post
Flight report: The Kraft/Kyosho Chipmunk is a huge success!

I did a few things different than Tom in his conversion. I added a steerable tailwheel and used a servo on each aileron.Oh, and bigger wheels, too. RTF weight with a 1300 3S is only 21 ounces. The 2212 outrunner is MAJOR overkill for power - it takes off easily at less than 1/2 power, needs LOTS of right rudder at full throttle. It flies so well I nearly cratered it on the first flight - I lost track of time, was flying it well in excess of ten minutes then decided to make a low (20 feet, that's low for me) inverted pass at 1/2 throttle. When I went to power up, the battery was gone and my 1/2 roll to upright finished about 4 feet off the ground. Yikes! I'd rather be lucky than good, poor judgement on my part.

Like Tom said, it's a crime this model isn't available today. Russ Farris
Not such a different approach..

I also used a 2212..but the 1000Kv version with an 8x6 APC Thin e...gives us about the same pitch speed and amps/watts . Mine is major overkill as well.... I used a Gens Ace 3S 1550mAh with gives a little more power than the typical 3S 1300 pack in the same model.

Hated to trench up this rare foamie with servo wire runs and servos showing out in the wings, so decided to use a single aileron and torque rods... works great.

I went to larger wheels as well, plus I added some tubing to the stock wire gear to make it look less skeletal. Ditched the yellow plastic tailwheel from the stock kit and used a normal tailwheel. Still have not added a steerable tailwheel, but it steers nicely on the ground without one, unless there is some excess wind.

Flew mine this evening...a delightful model!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel